The five-vehicle automated guided vehicle system has been delivered to Kimberly-Clark’s paper plant in France, which produces paper products for industrial and household use.
Central place in internal logistics
The AGVs are designed to carry and convey large paper rolls between the paper machine, thewarehouse, and the conversion lines where the rolls are processed and cut to size. The vehicles also handles removal of empty paper roll cores.
New type of Automatic Guided Vehicles for handling paper rolls
For this purpose, Egemin has developed a new type of AGV that is equipped with a hydraulic dual mast fitted with a prong. To pick a paper roll, the prong is inserted into the roll core. The rolls are subsequently released and deposited on conveyor belts. To transport rolls from the warehouse to the conversion lines, the AGVs have been equipped with a sensor for detection of the roll height to determine the center of the paper roll core.
Added value derived from the warehouse control system
An essential part of the project scope was the development of a highly intelligent WCS(warehouse control system) which manages of the following tasks:
- Optimal storage of rolls in the manual warehouse according to product type, batch, diameter, quality, and destination.
- Control of the reel transport from the warehouse to the converting lines or directly from the tissue machine to the converting lines.
- Handling of the reception and expedition of reels delivered or exported by trucks.
- Control of the E’tricc® software (Egemin’s AGV management system for order generation, transport management and traffic control).
- Management of the production system for keeping track of paper consumption, product type, code, quality, and reporting.
- Interface with hand terminals on forklift trucks, line operators, paper machines through OPC and with the customer’s ERP system.
About Egemin Automation Inc.
Egemin Automation manufactures, implements and services automated material handling solutions that improve warehouse, production, and distribution center processes. Egemin’s standard and tailor-made automation solutions enable customers to remain one step ahead of the competition.
Egemin’s solutions include design, installation, modernization, and support of automated warehouse and distribution systems, including Automated Guided Vehicles (AGV) and automated storage and retrieval systems (AS/RS).
North American headquarters for Egemin are based in Holland, MI, with global headquarters in Antwerp, Belgium. Egemin Automation is part of the KION Group, a leading global intralogistics solutions provider comprising the brands of Linde, STILL, Fenwick, OM STILL, Baoli, Voltas, and Egemin Automation. The KION Group is headquartered in Wiesbaden, Germany, and is present in more than 100 countries, 23,500 employees, and sales of almost $5.7 billion.
Egemin Automation Inc.
11818 James St.
Holland, MI 49424
616 393 0101