The five-vehicle automated guided vehicle system has been delivered to Kimberly-Clark’s paper plant in France, which produces paper products for industrial and household use.
Central place in internal logistics
The AGVs are designed to carry and convey large paper rolls between the paper machine, thewarehouse, and the conversion lines where the rolls are processed and cut to size. The vehicles also handles removal of empty paper roll cores.
New type of Automatic Guided Vehicles for handling paper rolls
For this purpose, Egemin has developed a new type of AGV that is equipped with a hydraulic dual mast fitted with a prong. To pick a paper roll, the prong is inserted into the roll core. The rolls are subsequently released and deposited on conveyor belts. To transport rolls from the warehouse to the conversion lines, the AGVs have been equipped with a sensor for detection of the roll height to determine the center of the paper roll core.
Added value derived from the warehouse control system
An essential part of the project scope was the development of a highly intelligent WCS(warehouse control system) which manages of the following tasks:
- Optimal storage of rolls in the manual warehouse according to product type, batch, diameter, quality, and destination.
- Control of the reel transport from the warehouse to the converting lines or directly from the tissue machine to the converting lines.
- Handling of the reception and expedition of reels delivered or exported by trucks.
- Control of the E’tricc® software (Egemin’s AGV management system for order generation, transport management and traffic control).
- Management of the production system for keeping track of paper consumption, product type, code, quality, and reporting.
- Interface with hand terminals on forklift trucks, line operators, paper machines through OPC and with the customer’s ERP system.
About Dematic Egemin
Dematic Egemin (formerly Egemin Automation) manufactures, implements and services mobile automation solutions that improve warehouse, production and distribution center processes to optimize the supply chain. Product solutions include Automatic Guided Vehicles (AGVs) and in-floor towing solutions. Dematic Egemin comprises the Mobile Automation group within Dematic, with a Center of Excellence located in Holland, Michigan.
Dematic is a leading global supplier of integrated automated technology, software and services to optimize the supply chain. Dematic employs over 6,000 skilled logistics professionals to serve its customers globally, with engineering centers and manufacturing facilities located across the globe. Dematic, Egemin and Retrotech, now integrated under the roof of KION Group, have implemented more than 6,000 integrated systems for a customer base that includes small, medium and large companies doing business in a variety of market sectors.
Headquartered in Grand Rapids, Michigan, Dematic is a member of KION Group, a global leader in industrial trucks, related services, and supply chain solutions. Across more than 100 countries worldwide, the KION Group designs, builds and supports logistics solutions that optimize material and information flow within factories, warehouses and distribution centres. The company is the largest manufacturer of industrial trucks in Europe, the second-largest producer of forklifts globally, and a leading provider of warehouse automation.
11818 James St.
Holland, MI 49424
616 393 0101