Retrofits for warehouses and transport systems
Components of automated logistics systems can become obsolete or out of stock. When these components get defective, this can lead to long-term downtime. After years of reliable service, many installations no longer achieve the capacities they were designed for. You do not need to replace all components, and certainly not the whole installation, in order to maintain or expand your installation.
Our system upgrades and retrofit solutions provide a cost-efficient alternative, with fewer stoppages, higher capacity, and more reliability. They have a faster return on investment than an entirely new installation. Furthermore, you also increase the life of your existing systems. This increases the financial returns from your original investment.
Renovation and replacement of logistics installations
Egemin’s system retrofits involve a partial or total modernization of electronic components, controls, and software, in addition to the replacement or overhaul of mechanical components.
Egemin Automation provides both retrofits for Egemin installations and for third-party systems. We modernize the following logistics systems, amongst others:
- WMS & WCS software
- stacker cranes (pallet cranes)
- conveyor systems (roller conveyors, chain conveyors, conveyor belts)
- automated guided vehicles (AGV)
- sorting systems
- palletizer systems
Our retrofit methodology
When performing a system upgrade we ensure that your production downtime is reduced to the bare minimum, and that you don’t suffer any production losses. We follow a fixed methodology for every retrofit project. This means we can perform the upgrade quickly and with little disturbance.
The cornerstones of our retrofit methodology include the following points:
- a clear conversion plan beforehand
- an analysis of all activities, possible consequences and risks, with risk-limiting procedures and fall-back scenarios
- strict execution planning
- simultaneous use of old and new controls during the conversion
- return to the old control within four hours in the event of any unforeseen circumstances
- all functions tested off-line beforehand
- switchovers performed during weekends and holiday periods to the maximum extent possible to avoid loss of production
Modernize your existing installation
The steel work of your stacker cranes, conveyors, sorters or racks can still work perfectly in many cases. So why would you want to modernize everything? Our retrofits offer partial or total modernization of electronic components, controls, or software, as well as the replacement or overhaul of mechanical components.
This results in the following improvements for your installation:
- higher availability and reliability
- better performance and greater capacity
- lower energy consumption through energy recuperation
- better ergonomics
- new working procedures (goods-to-man vs. man-to-goods, pick-pack)
- improved processes
- more modern technology (RFID, voice picking, pick-to-light)
- simplified maintenance
- improved safety
When to modernize?
The time is right for upgrading your installation in the following situations:
- your installation’s components are obsolete or at the end of their lifetime
- the reliability of your installation is diminishing
- the number and duration of downtimes is increasing
- the capacity of the installation is decreasing
- maintenance costs are increasing considerably
- you do not have sufficient knowledge of your existing installations
- the user interface no longer satisfies the required standards
- the installation no longer satisfies the stricter safety standards currently in place